Re: Windows Backend

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Windows Backend
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:13:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Joseph Graham wrote:

> >Beside the different Unix system GNUstep runs on, we also
> >feature a windows backend, although it is still unstable. Just check it
> >out on CVS. (And don't use the newest Cygwin, as this is broken)
> >If this wasn't your question, could you please rephrase it?
> This was my question.  Sorry about that earlier post, I was interrupted like
> 5 or so times when I was trying compose that email.
>

> Are there any dependencies for the Windows backend?  For example, WO
> requires the Window server and Pasteboard server processes among other
> things.  It is perhaps my incorrect understanding that backends meant
> processes (daemons)?  From what I recall, GNUStep supports loading Nibs and

At the current moment in time, yes it requires a few other tings be
running first, AFAIK

> maybe I am wrong here?  If it does, is there any correlation between GS IB
> Nibs and WO or Cocoa IB Nibs?  I think Apple even changed the Nib format
> from OSX 10.x to 10.3.  Or if anyone has the OSX Nib file format spec URL
> handy?  Apple has sooo much information on their developer site it's getting
> tough to navigate, especially when I don't know what I'm looking for.

This documentation is not, and has never been, available. GNUstep nibs (we
call them .gorm's after the name of the InterfaceBuilder equivalent we
have) are conceptually identical, but the format of the nibs themselves
are different, because Apple/NeXT never documented this. As a result, that
"OS X Nib file format spec URL" doesn't exist, because that information is
proprietory. Nothing we can do about it, unfortunately.

> I was very encouraged that my OSX Foundation tools compiled on Win32 without
> many problems. *dangit* That got me hooked.

:)