Re: Excellent technical overview of D-BUS

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Excellent technical overview of D-BUS
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:50:20 +0100

On 2004-09-01 14:54:02 +0800 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
On 1 Sep 2004, at 06:59, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
I agree. I think it is better to extend gdomap so it becomes D-BUS daemon like .
That's not what I meant. I don't see any reason to extend gdomap to be like the d-bus daemon. The two daemons do different jobs, and if we want to use something
like d-bus, we should probably just use d-bus.
I see. I think the idea of D-BUS as a 'bus' is beginning to lose appeal for me.
[snip]

What about cases where i have to connect to more than one object and maintain those connections?

I don't understand the question.

NSConnection encapsulates a link between two processes (or threads within a process). A server specifies a 'root object' for each named service it provides, and clients can establish connections to the server and ask for the root object ... they can then send messages to it. The return values of those messages can be other objects which the client can then use. The arguments of those messages can be other objects from the client side, which the
server can then use.
So you can have any number of objects using the same connection to send messages to
objects on the other end.
The connection normally stays open as long as the client has any object in the server retained,
or the server has any object in the client retained.

An application launching daemon may (but does not have to) connect to each application it launches (eg. to simplify detecting if the application later dies) ... in this case, the number of connections (and hence connected applications) is limited by the operating system limit on
sockets ... I think this is normally 1024 on linux and 64 on windows.