Re: Shiira

From: Stefan Kleine Stegemann
Subject: Re: Shiira
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:44:54 +0200

Hi,

any chance of coding GNUstep's WebKit and WebView in a way that would allow using it on MacOS X as well?

Well, this should not be a problem. But GNUstep's WebView/Kit is (will be) API compatible with Apple WebKit so I think you're better of with using Apples WebKit on
MacOS X and GNUstep WebKit on GNUstep.

Of course while it uses WebCore, the Mac folks won't show much interest, but once it supports other backends that may change. I guess just naming it GSWebView and #defining that to WebView and similar tricks would be all that's needed.

That's a point, indeed. I'll keep this in mind.

Oh, and BTW, have you thought about contacting the OmniWeb folks? They've open sourced stuff before, and the current version of OmniWeb AFAIK uses WebCore under the hood as well (not Webkit, they're behind a couple of versions, so they can't be using WebKit), maybe they'd be interested in some sort of collaboration.

The stuff 'open sourced' by OmniGroup has a license that is is very incompatible with GPL/LGPL/whatever. And yes, I think they're using WebCore directly. This also gives them more flexibility (compared to if they would use WebKit). Maybe we can convince them to port OmniWeb to GNUstep once WebCore runs fine there :-) (OmniWeb 5 is really cool). I could write them a mail and tell them that there is GNUstep WebKit/WebCore
on the way, but I'm not sure if they are interested.

Greets
Stefan