Re: How does GNUSTEP measure up?

From: Peter Cooper
Subject: Re: How does GNUSTEP measure up?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 02:49:43 +0200

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 07:03:18PM -0400, Arich Chanachai wrote:
> I'd like to know if this should be my choice for applications dev.
> A few questions:
>
> 1. How does it compare in regards to speed? vs. Java or .DotNET

Well. Are you comparing language or library/framework environments? Do
you know what the differences are?

> 2. How easy is it to create custom language bindings?

It's been done at least a few times. If you're thinking of C-sharp, it's
not been done yet. There is a Java gateway. (Is the idea of a gateway or
are you looking at a common language runtime and...?)

> 3. Does it support Java or DotNET classes/libraries?

Unsure, but it is quite possibly implementable.

> 4. What is the depth of its own libraries?

Very good. But what do you want to hear? +10 years of positive implementation
experience with this environment and linear predecessors.

> 5. I heard it has a dev. IDE, is it better or as good as Eclipse or VS?

Better for sure ;) I use ProjectCenter and Gorm effectively to develop
applications and interfaces. Compared with the horror that I hear from
my colleagues and friends in the Java and Visual worlds, it's still quite
adequate.

> 6. How easy would it be for me to port Delphi/Java/DotNET/Smalltalk
> libraries to it?

Depending on the object paradigm, fairly easy to trivial.

> 7. How good is its interface to DLLs and C/C++ code?

Excellent, especially for C code ;) Wrappers may be an issue, but good OO
design will help out.

Hope this helps...

Peter