Re: Buidling gui and back on Windows

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Buidling gui and back on Windows
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:43:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Larry Cow wrote:

> Andreas Hoeschler a écrit :
>
> > please excuse my ignorance. I have just installed the Windows binary
> > from www.gnustep.org on a windows machine and started msys. How do I
> > proceed from here to get gui and base installed? Or even get a simple
> > "hello world" tool compiled. What editor or command line tool are you
> > guys using to edit source files on Windows? Is there any tutorial for
> > getting started with GNUstep on Windows?
>
> I'm not sure whether there are a tutorial, but it isn't very hard. Once
> you got make and base working (through Mingw and Msys), you need to
> download recent tarballs of gui and back. Either CVS snapshots or latest
> releases, it's up to you.

If you're using the windows GNUstep installer, use the latest -GUI
release, not CVS.

> You can decompress those tarballs from msys without problem. But before
> compiling them, you will need a few libraries (with headers). IIRC,
> you'll need to have libjpeg, libungif, libpng and libtiff, compiled for
> windows. For each, you'll have to put the headers (*.h) in
> C:\GNUstep\Development\msys\1.0\mingw\include, and the rest (*.lib, *.a,
> *.def) in ...\mingw\lib.

Larry, would you be willing to extend the windows installer to support
-GUI? This has been an agenda item of mine but I haven't had the time, and
you seem to know a lot more about GNUstep/Win32 than I do anyways.

> Once it is done, you can run ./configure;make;make install for -gui and
> back. Here, you'll remove all options that don't fit.
>
> For example, in order to compile -back, I needed to use the following
> configure:
>
> ./configure --disable-glx --disable-xim --disable-glitz
> --enable-graphics=winlib
>
> If I didn't forget anything, you should have a running GNUstep, and be
> able to compile and launch apps like Ink or GFractal. Don't forget that
> gdomap, gdnc and gpbs aren't started automatically. Once in MSys, you
> need to launch each one before any GNUstep app. And keep in mind that
> some GNUstep apps or libs are dependant on unix things: there's very
> little chance you manage to run GWorkspace on windows.

You also need to soure GNUstep.sh before GNUstep-make will work and you
can compile things using it. I'm not sure if the msys shell does that for
you automatically.

Alex Perez