Re: Emacs on GNUstep

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Emacs on GNUstep
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:33:44 -0400

Can you detail the reasons why (you think) it won't run under back-art?

There is a crash on startup. It might be a fault in the Emacs code, or in Art, but I stopped looking once I noticed it worked in xlib, since there were a lot of other issues to work on... ;)

I had actually started manually merging the NS-specific code into emacs
21. This is no easy task, especially because some of the internal
architecture of emacs changed significantly enough betweeen 20 and 21 to
make things a royal pain in the ass.

I had heard that. Partly for this reason, I think it may make things easier to clean up the existing codebase before trying the move to 21. There is a fair amount of accumulated cruft from the transitions over the years through OpenStep, Rhapsody, and OS X. For instance, there are major sections of code that aren't even used (but might have been switched out for Rhapsody yet work better under GNUstep than what IS used right now.)

Yes, project center needs support for external editors, still, I think,
but that should be fairly easy to fix. Serg, can you do this?

Actually, I should have added that PC already supports Emacs pretty nicely through gnuclient/gnuserv. The only advantage that would come with ns-emacs is that there are a number of methods already implemented in it for things like going to a particular line in a file, ready for DO access. (Actually gnuclient can support a lot of this too but going through DO would be cleaner.) An embedded panel implementation might also be possible, though possibly not as easy as it sounds.