Re: Default colors vs. gamma

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Default colors vs. gamma
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:10:31 -0400

On 2004-10-12 18:37:21 -0500 Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote:

I was asked in #GNUstep to provide screenshots of this, so:

http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/gamma_colors.png

After looking at the mails and #GNUstep discussion, I get this list (if I misplaced or forgot someone, please correct me):

The gamma 1.0 shot looks just like I remember the NeXT (OK, it has been a few years, but I'm pretty sure), yet I do not have any gamma calibration turned on in my X server, and using test images it seems like my setup has a gamma of about 2. Is it possible that the GNUstep system color settings were set by someone eyeballing things on a non-gamma-corrected system, instead of being numerically copied from a NeXT?

In any case, my "vote" is that whatever is done, it should be configurable from a GUI (the eventual Preferences app seems like a great place), even if it is a technical solution like gamma setting. (To make it intuitive, a slider could be used, and it could be called "Brightness (gamma)".) GNUstep setup instructions should explicitly recommend the user run Preferences to fiddle with the colors. Since this is the way you do things in Windows (adjust colors from a Control Panel item) and other environments this should not be something difficult or discomfiting for new users.

Perhaps holding off on this until there is time to develop the GUI might reduce the need for an unhappy compromise.