Re: gnustep, wo4.5.1 co-exist?

From: d.ayers
Subject: Re: gnustep, wo4.5.1 co-exist?
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:19:16 +0200 (CEST)

> On Oct 19, 2004, at 10:44 AM, YL wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm a wo4.5.1 objC developer and like openstep very much. Very
>> exciting
>> about the recent gnustep news.
>>
>> I've a machine with win2k, wo4.5.1(objC+java),cygwin installed and
>> hope can
>> try gnustep on that machine first.  I know windows are so proper for
>> this but there are things going on for my other machines.
>>

> I'm not sure whether you just want to use both on the same machine or
> have them interact.  Interaction between the two is pretty limited due
> to compatibility issues.

Actually I believe you may even have some issues by merely having them on
the same machine.  Would you be planing to compile GNUstep with gcc from
WO or do you want to install a second gcc (or even a second cygwin)?
WO4.5 includes Foundation and and AppKit, so if you're using WO's
gcc/cygwin you'll either only want -baseadd (the GNUstep Base additions as
a support library for Foundation) or you need to have some way to
seperately install a full -base which includes the Foundation API.  Then
you need to worry about path and include precedence.

I would really consider trying GNUstep on a machine without WO first and
maybe trying to get it to work with WO when you know how it is supposed to
work.

Cheers,
David