Re: GNUstep on Windows, "desktop" bundles...

From: Larry Cow
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Windows, "desktop" bundles...
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:24:46 +0200

Alex Perez a écrit :

gdomap definately needs to be servicized if it is going to be used (alexms patch removes this requirement) because it requires administrative privs to bind to ports. gpbs and gdnc should not be because they are per-user.
That is true. My mistake.

IMHO GNUstep should be installed into C:\Program Files\GNUstep. People do not install it there because of the whole "space issue" but that space issue is rendered irrelevant because NTFS retains the old 8-char filenames. With this in mind, installing to C:\Progra~1\GNUstep is perfectly safe.
Yeah, it should work, but I can't help considering it a hack. But anyway, the filesystem question is important, since we still don't know how gnustep should see it. Should it see the root as Desktop? as user's directory? as a special dir containing the different drives?

Yes, nvidia and ATI have proven time and time again that simplicity of downloads are generally more important than size these days.
It depends on the size. If you need to package a full mingw installation (with MSys and all), GNUstep-core's source code and a bunch of binaries, it may become larger than expected. Anyway, we can't really discuss that matter without measuring it :)

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "Special". Can you be more specific?

Well, we need theme support, that was the most important part of the sentence. We can't offer to maintain two different source trees for the two platforms.

I agree completely, but it probably shouldn't be the default.
Which should be the default? The "integrated" one, or the nextish one? For me, it's the first one...

yes exactly. the problem is that the pasteboard paradigms might not match up completely. Actually I think the windows pasteboard and gnustep pasteboard paradigm are more in line with each other than the X pasteboard paradigm is with the OpenStep one is.
That's interesting.

I dont think we've ever supported win98. Win98 is not worth the effort, and you probably agree.
Actually, I'd say he isn't worth anything :)

--
Larry Cow