Re: GNUstep Icons Effort : you can help !

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons Effort : you can help !
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:07:59 +0200

On 2004-10-23 20:38:06 +0100 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

http://www.quentinmathe.com/gnustep/documentation/UI/icons/ -- improved with your feedback since our first mail, but we're still looking for new or better ideas if you have them

I liked the text, but I got confused before reaching the end. It started with general principles, but then seemed to jump back and forth between principles and particular cases. I think it needs a little reordering to make it easier for idiots like me to follow. I suggest:

1. Introduction
    1.1. General overview
    1.2. What's technically possible

2. General ideas
    2.1. Core Problem
        2.1.1. Guidelines
    2.2. Readability
    2.3. Spacing
    2.4. Perspectives
    2.5. Special colors
    2.6. Icons composition and badge support
        2.6.1. Icons family
    2.7. Universal recognition
    2.8. User interaction

3. Specific types
    3.1. Generic icons
      3.1.1. Application icons
      3.1.2. Document icons
      3.1.3. Plugin icons
      3.1.4. Media/device icons
    3.2. Default icons
    3.3. Toolbar icons

hmm. You are right, I will shuffle it a bit differently… I'm not sure but may be I have done some error when I moved docbook to html and some chapters gets reordered wrongly.

that the icons will be released under the Free Art licence (http://artlibre.org/licence.php/lalgb.html).

Are you aware that it is a copyleft licence, so icons licensed under that cannot be incorporated into works under the GNU licences?

Yes I'm aware it's a copyleft licence. But GNU licenses like GPL or LGPL (used by GNUstep) are also copylefted licenses so on this side I see no problems, moreover with the Free Art license you can include a copy of your creation (with no modifications) in a non copylefted or non free product which solves the problem of the icons usage with commercial softwares etc. But I must said you bring the real problem on the table with your question : with the IconKit, we create new icons by compositing other icons together, and in the case we distribute the new GNUstep icons under the Free Art license, the icons which will be composited with the GNUstep icons will have to be under the Free Art license (it's also the case for the icons which will result) and that's a big problem for commercial softwares… Then I think the Free Art license isn't a good idea, a non restrictive license like http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ is probably the right choice… I will see with Jasper if he agrees to put the icons under this license.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr