RE: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:12:33 -0700

Hello,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> don't you think we should exchange a few arguments on this before we
> start to vote?

Completely agree :-)

I think cairo is the the choice from the architechtural
point of view and the right solution in the long run.

I like how art backend works (rotation, transparency, nice fonts),
but I have always considered it to be a temporary solution
until backends that optimally use X protocol are ready.

I remember art had problems with remote X. Theoretically
there should be no one, but real life spoils the picture ;)
What is the current state? In my opinion art can become a default
only if it can work as a remote X client.

> We could argue about the case, where we can proof inside of configure,
> that all the  pre-requesits of art are fulfilled (e.g. all the libraries
> and fonts are there). In that case it would be fine for me to have art as
> the default.

There was once a decision to put required fonts and maybe other resources
for back-art into separate package and make it available. I'd say it belongs in
base, but it was classified as a dev-libs package. This packade should be made
available in the download page as either one of optional prerquisites or
as an optional base package anyway, independent on whether back-art
is a default or not.

By the way, just looked to check myself - could not find this stuff neither on
the dowload page nor in CVS. Anybody?

Thanks,
Tima.