Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:36:58 +0100

Le 25 oct. 04, à 22:05, MJ Ray a écrit :

"Vaisburd, Haim" <HVaisbur@Advent.COM> wrote:
What is the current state? In my opinion art can become a default
only if it can work as a remote X client.

Last I tried, back-art didn't work remotely. When I upgraded one of
the various libraries it uses (maybe freetype?) it stopped working
completely, so I switched to xlib and enabled the antialiasing. That
works remotely but is very slow and a little unpredictable.

Backart actually works quite well remotely, I even program sometimes remotely (connecting from home, broadband 512kb, to the university, using ssh -CX). The only thing you need perhaps is to explicitely tell backart to NOT use the shared memory (it should automatically detect it, but it seems that's often not the case..)
just type that on a command line (on the remote computer..)
defaults write NSGlobalDomain XWindowBufferUseXShm NO
before launching a remote app.

I never really had much luck with the art nfonts either.

I may be failing to operate these, though. Clear instructions on how
to get a UTF-8 system which has clear fonts and works remotely would
be appreciated greatly :-)

I believe there is some instructions on the wiki about nfonts

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke