Re: *Any* way to getting GNUstep on a G4 ???

From: Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: *Any* way to getting GNUstep on a G4 ???
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:05:00 +0200

In article <mailman.5831.1098987512.2017.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:

> If you explicitly state the guide you were following online, I will
> replace it with the newer one. This is another sore-spot WRT GNUstep
> documentation. We will release an updated GNUstep source tarball with
> updated readmes, but those won't ever get posted to the GNUstep.org
> documentation area until someone makes this kind of accidental,
> stumbling observation that it's out of date. I'm sorry to foist that
> responsibility upon you.

My basic problem is probably not that the docs don't exist, but that
they're hard to find. There is an "Introduction" section, a "Download"
section, a "Getting Started" section and a "How can I get GNUstep"
section in the FAQ, on gnustep.org.

It's not entirely obvious where I would look for the info.
"Introduction" apparently is a "Why should I use GNUstep?" section.

"Download" contains the download links, but doesn't really contain
general installation instructions. It has a "MacOS X" section, but that
contains the verbose equivalent of "coming soon". Of course, once I've
downloaded GNUstep, I have the README in there, but a link to the readme
from there sounds really handy for finding out what you're getting
yourself into *before* you've cost GNUstep.org bandwidth.

"Getting Started" contains docs on how to use GNUstep once it's
installed.

The "How-to" is actually hidden where I wouldn't have looked for it: in
the "Developers" section under "Documentation". It may be a good idea to
link to the How-To at least from the "Download" and "Getting Started"
pages, with a simple sentence like "if you're looking for information on
how to install GNUstep, see the HOW-TO."

I don't even remember whether someone here gave me the link to the Build
Guide at http://gnustep.made-it.com/BuildGuide/index.html or whether I
followed a link somewhere. Anyway, I can't find it on GNUstep.org right
now. Same with the link to the Readme. Where is there actually a link to
that on GNUstep.org? I'd probably put links to those on an "Installing
GNUstep" page

Another suggestion I have is that "Platforms" is a place I never really
would have looked for installation instructions in. It sounds to me like
a list of supported platforms only. I personally would have looked for
this info under one of the sections mentioned above.

Has anyone ever tried giving GNUstep.org a more task-based hierarchy?
I.e. along the lines of

   Getting started
      - Why use GNUstep (fka Introduction, Mission)
      - Getting GNUstep (fka Downloads)
      - Installing GNUstep (fka Platforms, Readme, Howto)
      - Learning GNUstep (fka Getting Started)

   Using GNUstep
      - Applications
      - User docs
      - user FAQ

   Developing for GNUstep
      - Developer docs
      - developer FAQ

I know task-based isn't the be-all end-all, and I'm not really happy
with the hierarchy above (e.g. there's a fuzzy line between learning and
using a system...)

Also, the "External" section is an odd choice, kind of "odds and ends".
The Project page could probably go either in "Developing for GNUstep" or
in "Related Links". The latter would also be a good place for related
Sites and Mirrors.

Maybe it would be useful to find out what information people look for
when they come to GNUstep.org, and to make sure the hierarchy and
categories reflect that.

Sorry that became a little long, I'm still waiting for GCC3.4.2 to
finish compiling :-)
-- Uli
http://www.zathras.de