Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:09:07 -0400

On Oct 28, 2004, at 3:17 PM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Adrian Robert wrote:

On the Xlib back end, is there an obstacle to setting anti-aliased fonts on by default? I personally only noticed this capability after months, and don't imagine this is that unusual among general users. Ideally, anti-alias should default to ON, but the code should autodetect if libfreetype is absent in in this case fall back to non-antialiased.

It may be just me that prevented this :-)

Although I implemented the original AA support for xlib (now extended with great patches by Derek Zhou. BTW: There is still one I always forget to commit) I don't use it myself and this may have blocked it from becomming the default. To be honest, I don't liek AA fonts, most of the time they just look bad. But if you, and a few others, really want them as the default, I don't mind to switch them on, I know how to switch them off for myself anyway.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) OS X and Windows XP have anti-aliasing ON by default (and have control panel options to turn it off or limit it to certain font sizes. That would provide additional motivation for the AA-on option, although the control panel would be just an on/off switch (as we have now) since rendering parameters are controlled by freetype's configuration.

One thing to keep in mind: Our autodetection code for libfreetype is at compile time not runtime.

This might be a showstopper -- if a binary distribution needs to be preset for non-antialiased or it won't work on a system without freetype, that could be a problem. Would bundle-izing the freetype rendering code support clean runtime selection? This would take some work though, and some might think this effort would be better directed towards improving the art backend..