Re: GSMake intermediates in separate folder?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GSMake intermediates in separate folder?
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 03:46:34 +0000 (GMT)

> > Btw of course if we were to use a separate build dir by default, the stock
> > commands would be quite different, we probably set GNUSTEP_BUILD_DIR to
> > 'build' only at the very first top-level invocation, and DERIVED_SRC is
> > already automatically set properly when GNUSTEP_BUILD_DIR is set.
>
> Well, at least in my copy of GNUstep make, DERIVED_SRC isn't being set
> correctly. That's why I'm explicitly setting it. I'm not yet running the
> new gnustep-make/gnustep-base that was just announced a day ago, though.
> Is it new in that?

Hmmm.  It should work.

Reading the stuff again with more attention ... Why do you talk of
DERIVED_SRC ?  That variable doesn't exist in gnustep-make.  The
gnustep-make variable is called DERIVED_SOURCES_DIR (I dumbly copied your
variable names without thinking, but this is the actual right name in
gnustep-make).

Where did you find 'DERIVED_SRC' ?  Googling for it it seems that it's the
name used in the Apple make system for that stuff so I presume you copied
it from there ?

Why do you need to know about it anyway ?  Do you have your own build
stuff which you need to put into that directory ?

While I seem to remember I didn't finish all the dark corners of this
stuff, at a quick test with a framework built with a separate build dir,
it does work, including the DERIVED_SOURCES_DIR bit, even when I use
subprojects.