Re: Recommended minimum information when submitting bugs...

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Recommended minimum information when submitting bugs...
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:50:28 +0000 (GMT)

> Guys,
>
> I believe that the following minimum criteria isn't too much to expect when
> someone submits a bug:
>
> 1) Processor Architechture
> 2) Operating System (including distribution, don't just say "Linux" also
> please
> provide the kernel version)
> 3) Compiler Version
> 4) Base Version
> 5) Gui Version
> 6) What failed and in which app and precise steps to recreate the issue.
> 7) Any and all data which was used to cause the problem or, if such data can't
> be provided, a representative test case which illustrates the issue.

If it's a building / makefile issue, all bug reports hoping for a quick
fix should include:

1. the GNUmakefiles that are being used;

2. the output of

make messages=yes

(or even 'make -d messages=yes')

... else from the typical report ("XXX doesn't compile on YYY", with no
log or explanation) is very difficult to figure out just what exactly the
problem is, particularly because in a released version of gnustep most
things have been at least marginally tested, so chances are when I try to
reproduce the bug on my machine, it all works, because the bug is caused
by some special condition / situation / tweak of that platform / makefile
/ setup.

Thanks