Re: Recommended minimum information when submitting bugs...

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Recommended minimum information when submitting bugs...
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 03:55:51 -0800 (PST)

MJ,

--- MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> > > Really, it's going to be a lot more reliable than user-generated
> information.
> > > (Am I really running 0.10.1 or did I typo?)
> > Given that this information isn't updated for every bug which is fixed, how
> can
> > I rely on the version number alone? [...]
>
> I thought you started the thread which asked for version numbers alone?

Yes and no.  When using a release, you should give the release number.  But it
stands to reason that if you are using a CVS version you should also include
that information in the "GUI Version/Base Version" section.

> > > CVS users should not be the norm, so they can probably edit rather than
> > > just copy-pasting...
> > Unfortunately we must account for both.
>
> Sure, and I say account for CVS users by declaring that anyone running
> from CVS should know enough to realise they're running CVS and not a
> released version.
>
> In the words of debian: "you are always up-to-date with the latest in
> GNU/Linux software industry, but if it breaks: you get to keep both
> parts :-)" (FAQ s5.7)

:)

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A Maryland Corporation)
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.