Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:17:36 +0100

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
--- Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:

Could you please explain this sentence? What was broken and how did you fix it? As I wrote, I don't care to much for the default backend, but would like to make sure that xlib works, where it should work.

My XFree86 display on SuSE9.0 was set to 100DPI by default, for whatever
reason.  This caused xlib to select fonts which were way too large for the
screen, whereas art doesn't have these issues.

I believe that the correction to the problem was to change the DPI setting of
the display back to 72DPI so that fonts of the correct size would be selected. This was about 6-7 months ago. I haven't tried it since.

As far as I remember my SuSE system is using 100 DPI and this looks ok.

I have been using SuSE Linux for years now, still I don't understand how you would be able to change the DPI setting. As far as I understand it the monitor has an actuall DPI value, depending on the size of the screen and the resolution you are using. And I don't see a way of adjusting this, apart from changing the resolution, as changing the monitor size often isn't an option. The X server will know about the screen size, by using the DRI module and thus know the actuall DPI value. So far GNUstep is not involved and the value is either correct or wrong. And if it is wrong, you should fix it, even when not using xlib.

The xlib backend (when not using font config) uses the points field in the X logical font descriptor to create a font. This is wrong as most of the rest of GNUstep is drawing at pixel level, but when I tried to move over to pixel size the fonts were to small on most systems. We could give this another try. :-)

Is it ok, that I ignore this bug report until you provide any additional information on what went wrong and why?

Fred