Re: Funding GNUstep development

From: Peter Cooper
Subject: Re: Funding GNUstep development
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:24:14 +0100

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:23:55AM +0000, Tim Bissell wrote:

> As far as I recall Improv was written in a mixture of Pascal and
> Objective-C, against a very early NS release; so its code will be in an
> even worse state than Quantrix.  I've toyed with the idea of rewriting

Actually, according to everything I've seen (and this post:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-01/msg01647.html ) Lotus Improv was the
initial reason that Objective-C++ was created. The core of the app was
written for OS/2 in C++, and then moved to NeXT where to assist the
port and UI stuff a new GCC frontend was built.

The old simpson.net article (now gone) indicates that building Improv
was no cup of tea, and rewriting it might not be totally trivial.

Peter