Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:15:59 -0500

There are (and there will be) two main applications, GWorkspace and Desktop.

In this perspective, the existence of all the helper apps is easy understandable:

both the apps needs file operations.
both the apps needs an Inspector.
both the apps needs a Finder and will use its File Annotations and Live Search Folders.
both the apps use fswatcher, thumbnailer, etc...

I don't care whether they are separate apps or not, but will there be any way for these aux. apps to know they should quit if *neither* GWorkspace nor Desktop is running? In my case I never run Desktop but sometimes quit GWorkspace and am annoyed at having to manually kill Inspector as well (and can't kill Operation without 'ps' and 'kill' since I disable its icon in Windowmaker to avoid clutter). My machine is resource limited so I don't want to just leave these things running willy-nilly.