debugging objc difficulties, here: gdl2

From: Dirk Lattermann
Subject: debugging objc difficulties, here: gdl2
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:13:12 +0100

Hello all,

I'm always (and since a long time) having difficulties in debugging the GNUstep libiraries, on Linux x86. Stepping through them with gdb (6.1) shows source code lines in an order unexplicable to me. I doubt it comes from compilation optimizations (I'm using gcc 3.4), because often, the current instruction jumps backward into the preceding function on a single 'n' in gdb. It seems the source files don't match the object files. How can gdb show the file location of the source files it is using? I'm seeing only the file name without the path component.

I also observed this:
I built and installed the core libraries without debugging support (is this a problem?), and I built and installed the gdl2 libraries and my application with and without debugging (make debug=yes [install]). The debug version of my application doesn't seem to use the gdl2 debugging libraries (without the _d suffix):

$ ldd MyApp.app/MyApp
libgnustep-db2.so.0 => /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-db2.so.0 (0xb7eec000) libgnustep-db2control.so.0 => /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-db2control.so.0 (0xb7e66000)

$ ldd MyApp.debug/MyApp
libgnustep-db2.so.0 => /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-db2.so.0 (0xb7eec000) libgnustep-db2control.so.0 => /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-db2control.so.0 (0xb7e66000)

I compiled .app when the _d libs weren't installed yet and .debug after they were installed. Now, when re-compiling, both .app and .debug use the _d libraries. Is this intended? Displaying the source correctly in gdb still doesn't work, however.

Does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks very much,
Dirk Lattermann