Re: strokeadjust:ing by default

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: strokeadjust:ing by default
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:07:22 -0500

On Jan 18, 2005, at 8:59 AM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Recently, I reworked back-art's handling of strokeadjust. In postscript. strokeadjusting will move points of paths around a bit to try to line things up with device pixels and make line widths seem more uniform. In back-art, I do things that are similar in spirit: adjust points on paths, line widths, and dash offsets to make the results sharper and clearer. The drawback of this is that by moving things around, you distort the paths a bit.

As an example, here a are a bunch of lines without strokeadjusting:

http://web.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/backart/lines_strokeadjust_off.png

and with:

http://web.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/backart/lines_strokeadjust_on.png

It looks like the strokeadjust_on case definitely lets you see more detail on a resolution-limited display. Very nice. Do you have any comparable shots for diagonal lines and curves (closely-spaced or otherwise)? Also what about thicker lines, or would we not see a difference for those? And what about more ordinary application window / GUI types of situations? Would we see a difference here?