Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:57:46 +0100

On 2005-02-08 18:18:08 +0200 jesse@jesseross.com wrote:

Yeah -- I wasn't sure exactly how this would be done. It just seemed like
a feature no file manager has implemented that would really improve
user-experience. Perhaps the maintainer of GWorkspace could give some
insight into the viability of incorporating this feature or something
similar.

The problem is that GWorkspace provides, directly, only two icons: the icon for the "open" folder - shown when something is dragged on a folder - and the disk icon. All the others come from -gui, through the NSWorkspace class.
This means that there are only two solutions:
1) GWorkspace reimplements the NSWorkspace class.
2) (better) NSWorkspace is reimplemented in a framework (IconKit?) and GWorkspace and all the apps that need can use it.

IconKit implements option 2) currently, I just need to do some work to add icons themes support (by taking in account Camaelon I think). … And for compatibility, I plan to add a NSWorkspace category in a bundle which overrides the NSWorkspace icons related methods to use the IconKit when it is installed. May be it is better to use -poseAs: but I'm not sure… I don't know what's happen when you call two times -poseAs: on a class like NSWorkspace, is the current posed class correctly overridden or is it discarded ?

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr