Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:22:45 +0100

Le 8 févr. 05, à 18:41, Banlu Kemiyatorn a écrit :

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:57:19 -0600, Jesse Ross

http://www.quentinmathe.com/gnustep/documentation/UI/icons/
(is this the recent one?)

Yes, but I need to update it.

It was argue that the space shouldn't be a problem since the hitTest
should be a square but see 2)

2) On User interaction chapter of

http://www.quentinmathe.com/gnustep/documentation/UI/icons/c187.html

I argued that quare hitTest is a bad idea since I don't think clicking in
invisible UI is a good thing. I remember we were discussing this
in IRC and Quentin said he'll consider about it. I guess I'd like to see
the spec to make a clear decision on this.

I should have done it and I will do it :-)

3) I'd like to see the spec to state it clear about the outline.

Some of my icons as in the link posted above doesn't have outline.
Once I was too aquaish. Some did, which I prefered them.
Outline is good. It makes it easier to recognize the icons.

I'm not really convinced by the outline utility, it looks a bit cartoonish in my opinion. I think if you take the time to create the icon well and the icon looks sharp and correctly detailed at various sizes, the outline is not really needed.

I think it would be nice if Jesse is free enough to become a main artist
and can do free stuffs for people's applications including default set
of GNUstep icon.

We are a bit in the dark currently with Jasper I admit… but if it is possible I think (outside of the fact he is a very good designer) it would be fair to let him finish the work he started on the core icons set, but inputs from other people like Jesse would be welcome. Moreover a bunch of GNUstep applications need probably better icons, then I think there are work for many icons designers here. Well I know it would help everybody who want to work on GNUstep related icons if we have a basic GNUstep icons set in order to have a better idea of the look for UI consistency… I'm sorry the things are a bit slow to come :-/ We should may be set up a special mailing list along the marketing list on gna.org to talk about UI issues. What do you think ?

hope there aren't too many points.

/me wonder if he should press the [Send] button.
ooops

he, you have done it :-)

Quentin.

--