Re: Look and Feel

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:37:21 +0000

Hi,

Dom, 2005-02-13 às 17:01 -0600, Jesse Ross escreveu:
> > On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a more modern looking theme for
> > GNUstep on linux, like
> > http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/ui/concepts/01/ui.png , in
> > addition to the default NeXT theme.
> >

> Is is possible to set up some kind of poll somewhere where we can vote
> on whether or not the switch the GNUstep default theme? I'm not saying
> that my UI design has to be the final -- I just want to make sure we
> get the conversation about "keep it or ditch it" resolved in a
> democratic fashion.

Well, like many other projects, things like this aren't resolved in
"democratic" ways... The developers are more or less split in several
issues, but I can guess that changing the default look to something near
what you done (very nice, BTW) is nearly impossible. This doesn't mean,
however, that there isn't room for it, here is, and IMHO quite a lot.
But the default look is something that a lot of people hold very dear
and drastic changes to it is almost anathema. And in the end the
developers, the ones that do the bulk of the work (I'm not a developer
BTW), are the ones that must decide based on their own goals and the
overall suggestions.

This doesn't mean that there will not be changes, but I think that
things will progress like RFM said earlier: a default look for NeXT fans
and another one for those that want a more modern looking desktop. What
remains to be known is the ammount of visibility and support this later
one will receive in the GNUstep marketing, as it were.

This is all, of course, MHO, and I don't represent any consensus or
"silent majority" :)

Thanks again for your contribution, the theme mockup is great (I agree
with Alex Perez objections regarding taskbar vs dock, but e.g. the menu
looks very nice, and the overall look is sexy, for lack of a better
word :) )

Best regards,

fsmunoz