Re: Look and Feel

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:11:52 +0100

At 7:29 Uhr -0600 14.02.2005, Jesse Ross wrote:
So, the interface is currently created using vector paths, if I'm reading
this correctly? How difficult would it be to create a new UI using vectors
instead then? Would that have to happen directly in the -gui code, or is
there a way to make a theming engine that uses vectors instead? That would
be much faster, correct, since we're not relying on pixmaps?

Are you sure that pixmaps *are* actually slower than vector paths? I know for a fact that MacOS X uses mostly pixmaps because Quartz drawing with all that sub-pixel rendering and anti-aliasing takes a while.

Okay, GNUstep with xlib doesn't do anti-aliasing yet, so I guess it will be faster, but is this true for all engines? What about libart?
--
Cheers,
M. Uli Kusterer