Re: backart - default backend?

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: backart - default backend?
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:25:38 -0800 (PST)

MJ,

--- MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> > Any or all of the above may be my fault and I'll try to rebuild
> > some things properly (following instructions carefully, taking
> > logs and all that) later today to test, but I'd welcome hearing
> > about advances since November on any of the above.
>
> Further to the above: I tried, but the current back-art release
> doesn't compile with the current freetype. Reported as bug
> 12009. Looks like it might be fixed in CVS, but I guess it can't
> be enough to affect release dates. After all, freetype 2.1.8 had
> been out for about 5 months already when back 0.9.4 was released.

I'm not sure what you're implying here, but I believe that Alex Malmberg has a
patch for the problem. :)

Additionally, users CAN download the previous version of freetype and use that
if they have a newer installation of Linux.

> So, I wonder how many non-CVS users use back-art?

I have a couple of machines that I usually compile the release on, lets see..

Well, I know that the release compiles on my laptop which has SuSE 9.0 on it,
and on my Sun box, which has Solaris 9 on it, and I do use back-art on both, so
I guess there's at least one. :)

> Is it premature to talk about switching defaults?

No.  It's precisely the right time to do so.  Art is simply a more advanced
backend and doesn't suffer from the same issues as xlib.

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.