Re: [Q] Porting StepTalk to Mac OS X(ObjC Runtime Compatibility)

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: [Q] Porting StepTalk to Mac OS X(ObjC Runtime Compatibility)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:56:09 -0800

Sungjin Chun wrote:
Hi,

I've try to build StepTalk on Mac OS X using Cocoa framework. And I found that StepTalk depends on GNU ObjC Runtime and this makes porting somewhat hard.
Now, here comes the first question:
1. In StepTalk code sel_register_typed_name, but Mac OS X or NeXT ObjC runtime does not have this one, instead, it has sel_register_name only. Can I use this function instead of GNU's one? 2. +[NSMethodSignature signatureWithObjCType:] is used in StepTalk and I found that this method is Cocoa.framework although hidden. Can I use same argument for this method, ie., type is compatible?

Please contact stefan urbanek immediately, at stefan@agentfarms.net. He is the current StepTalk maintainer, and is desperately looking for someone to finish my port of StepTalk to OS X. You can grab the (sort-of functional) source from my website at http://rocko.paploo.net/~aperez/GNUstep/StepTalk-CVS-9Nov2004.tar.bz2 . Note that make install will not work yet, you need to manually install the components into /Library/Frameworks and the bundles to /Library/StepTalk/Bundles or wherever they're supposed to go. The resources aren't inside the framework yet.

It's been a while since I've worked on this, as you can probably tell from the date on that tarball, but I'm willing to try and answer any questions about my aborted porting effort if you have any.

Cheers,
Alex Perz