Re: GWorkspace's Tabbed Shelf

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: GWorkspace's Tabbed Shelf
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:19:38 +0200

On 2005-02-17 20:13:41 +0200 Frederico Muñoz <fsmunoz@gesal.org> wrote:

> On 2005-02-17 17:36:34 +0000 Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> wrote:>
>>> IMHO doomed to be out fo place in just about every
>>> integrated environment that I can imagine. Making it work properly in what
>>> regards window maximazing, appicons and minimized windows, etc, is no small
>>> task.
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean (I usually have it minimized when not in
>> use). When it is minimized, it's foot print is no bigger than the handles
>> on the Gnome panel or Kicker. If you don't like it, you can always hide it.
>
> I must admit that my objections are purely based on the fact that I, for no
> good reason, simply dislike the way the tabbed shelf looks in comparison with
> something like the dock. So, this is highly a matter of personal taste, and
> since most people like it I of course think that it should be kept :)
>
> What I was trying to say, however, is that e.g. the appicons and minimized
> windows are positioned underneath the shelf (GW would need to be in full
> control of the window manager to overcome this I think), and thus it as
> always fealt "alien" to me, like a large patch of nylon over a smooth silky
> background.

Even if I'm the author of this patch of nylon, I must say that I'm agreed with
you :-)
I use it because it is very functional (and because I don't like the shelf in
the file viewer window), but the feeel of something alien does exist.
Does somebody know the behaviour of the openstep tabbed shelf? That is: where
openstep puts appicons and minimized windows if there is the tabbed shelf?