Re: GWorkspace next release (Was: Re: GWorkspace's Tabbed Shelf)

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: GWorkspace next release (Was: Re: GWorkspace's Tabbed Shelf)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:34:52 +0200

On 2005-02-18 00:15:59 +0200 MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

Enrico Sersale <enrico@dtedu.net> wrote:
Is somebody using the tabbed shelf?
It seems that 75% want to keep it. [...]

You asked for users. I'm surprised it's only 75%. Personally, I would
be happy for all tabs to go away from the user interface. I thought
GNUstep usually used the listbox and panel combination for the same
effect? Apart from when I break things(!), that works better for me.

I posted this on gnustep-ui but I've had no response so I try here :-)

I saw it on -ui, but I couldn't really picture this because I
don't know what you mean by "the little document icon" - nothing
appears near the close button of Finder in GWorkspace 0.6.3

I mean GWorkspace from CVS, not 0.6.*. And the icon is in the "Search Results"
window, not in the main Finder window.

I assumed it was my fault. I've not upgraded because I don't
get how to build 0.6.5 as a package. Should I build GWLib as
one package and GWorkspace as another? I think I emailed you
about this again recently, as 0.6.3 crashes too much for me.

I'm not expert in packaging at all, but... yes, I think that you should build
two packages.
The same thing is surely valid also for the FSNode framework that is in CVS and
will be in 0.7.

Now, the Finder interface puzzles me anyway. Why do I need to
drag a folder to its shelf *and* select it? Why can't it search
all folders on the shelf if none are selected? Alternatively,
why not search the selection in the File Viewer if there's
nothing on the Finder shelf?

The Finder window has a popup wrom which you can choose where to search. The options are:
the current File Viewer selection and the paths selected in the Finder "shelf".

Regardless, I look forward to seeing the announcement of 0.6.6
or 0.7.0 on info-gnustep - I use GWorkspace a lot every login.