Re: Re: Look and Feel

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:46:35 -0500

On 2005-02-17 07:33:47 -0500 MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

What proportion is "large number"? Are there any metrics on
the discussion which illustrate this, or do you expect everyone
to go read over 400 comments to see if they think it's true? As
I wrote, it looked at first glance like a larger number want
objective C++ and ACPI fixes.

I didn't see anything about that. I've seen plenty of requests for the end of "battleship grey."

Huh? People who like things to "look very slick" using XFCE? Has it
changed a lot since the screenshots on www.xfce.org then?

I just threw XFCE in there for completeness. But you make a fine point: XFCE looks much more modern than the old UI. I'm not talking about transparent windows and little doodads popping up all over the place. Just a little more color and a little less monochrome.

Anyway, I think the typical slashdotter is a former windowmaker
or afterstep user (mainly because of the easy wallpaper-based
"themes") who now uses a pixmapped theme for KDE, right down
to the widgets. Changing the default theme probably would only
help to attract them because of their unwillingness to read
instructions.

If Camaelon is bundled with -core and the option to change theme is the first thing a user sees, fine. If someone downloads a tarball, installs it, and sees nothing but grey, they'll be disappointed.

Good web browsers and mail clients may be more
important to attract them.

I'm not talking about attracting them. I'm talking about not repelling them. Different thing.

Their former steppish window manager love may
even mean that we shouldn't change the look too much.

They don't have any steppish love. If they did, I wouldn't be suggesting this. These are the people who have never used anything but Windows, Mac OS X, and KDE or GNOME. The world has moved on and people would like some color in their interfaces. At any rate, I think we've used this topic up. People will not see a fresh GUI on first run and that's just the way it is.