Re: Trying gnustep-startup-0.9.1 on Darwin/x86

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Trying gnustep-startup-0.9.1 on Darwin/x86
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:27:46 +0100

Hi Adam,

long time no see!

Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote on 22.02.2005 17:39:43:

> On Feb 22, 2005, at 5:43 AM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
> > However I observed some *minor* quirks:
> >
> > 1. That package should be prominently announced on our homepage
> >
> Well, yours is really the first feedback I've had that says that it
> works, so I was being a little cautious announcing it.

well i didn't test it to the end. I did not try to get around that:

You do not have an up-to-date libobjc library installed
GNUstep requires ffcall or libffi and proper libobjc hooks to do
invocations and DO.
(This does not apply on apple-apple-apple systems where DO is
not compatible with other GNUstep systems.)

You most likely do not want to build base without DO support. Many
things, including all applications, won't work at all without DO.
If you really want to build -base without DO support, add --disable-do
to the configure arguments.

and we've got a kind of chicken and egg problem here: no visible
announcement -> no testing -> no feedback -> no visible announcement (list
guys don't count here, they've all already installed GNUstep and know how
it works ;-))

> > 2. The Documentation should say that you should type:
> >
> > sudo ./InstallGNUstep
> >
> > instead of just:
> >
> > InstallGNUstep
> >
> Except that you don't. Using 'InstallGNUstep' works fine, and I
> actually prefer that, although it doesn't matter much.

it works without ./ in your case? Did you put InstallGNUstep into your
path?

> > 4. the check for ffcall seems to be broken somehow:
> >
> That's in gnutsep-base and is corrected in CVS (not yet released).

fine!