Re: Licensing Issues

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: Licensing Issues
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:28:59 +0100

On 2005-02-26 19:28:29 +0000 Matthew D Swank <akopa@comcast.net> wrote:

(...)
> This is slightly of topic, but I am writing an original wrapper for PCRE. I
> am willing to assign copyright to the FSF, but PCRE itself has a different
> license (BSD) would my framework be a candidate for inclusion in GNUstep?

I'm not an expert, but is that BSD licence is the one without the advertisement
clause the it is GPL compatible, and furthermore it can be changed to GPL by
anyone, i.e. if you make a slight modification of PCRE you can release the
entire code as GPL. So you can licence your framework using the GPL and assign
the copyright to the FSF at will. I think that you could even do it if you
maintained the BSD licence, but inclusion on GNUstep would thus be denied.

Cheers,

fsmunoz
--
Frederico Muñoz