Re: Installer UI advices

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:08:46 -0600

OTOH, telling them that there is a disk (which to most users is a physical medium or device in their computer) inside a file, will confuse them, because it mixes the concept of files and physical storage media.

Since it's easy to handle (just double-click), they will learn quickly.

Why would I eject a file?

You don't eject the file, you eject the volume which happens to reside in a file. This is the same as handling a physical media, i.e. a CD.

I think the confusion here for end users is that the volume that comes from the DMG looks just like an external hard drive, and even has to be "ejected" like an external hard drive, when it's certainly not something physical they can eject. Make DMG volumes look more like packages, and allow the user to throw them in the trash when they are done with them, just as with a PKG, and you solve the consistency issues. From a technical point of view, it can be handled exactly as it is now -- it's the visual metaphors that need to change. A user shouldn't look at his desktop/file manager/wherever his drives are contained, and see this non-physical physical looking volume. It's a very confusing concept to teach a new user. That, and having to Command-E a non-physical volume when I know that it's a file I want to delete (Command-Delete), is strange and still trips me up when I'm in work mode and not thinking about it.

J.