Re: Installer UI advices

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:50:10 +0100

At 10:27 Uhr +0100 16.03.2005, Benoit wrote:
It's far more easy to unmount the disk image than to erase a decompressed archive.

 Not really. On MacOS, you just drag both to the trash.

Moreover sometimes .zip and others are sometimes badly make and don't create a folder to handle all decompressed file and then you have a lot of files totaly disorganized in the folder where you have your .zip.

Well, I'd call that a bug that could easily be fixed. On MacOS X, for example, StuffIt automatically wraps unpacked files in a folder of the name of the archive (minus the suffix) if there's more than one item at the root level of the archive.

Also, most developers on MacOS X themselves take care to wrap the files in a folder before compressing them. I agree that this isn't possible with disk images simply because a disk by itself is like a directory. But if I was asked to fix this or explain to non-programmers what a disk image is, I would choose the former.
--
Cheers,
M. Uli Kusterer