[Fwd: Re: Frameworks under MS Windows and linking issues]

From: Andre Levy
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Frameworks under MS Windows and linking issues]
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:28:48 +0100

once again...

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:47:48 +0100
From: andre levy <gsalevy@almonde.com>
To: Marc Brünink <mbruen@smartsoft.de>

Marc Brünink wrote:

On Friday, Mar 18, 2005, at 05:38 Europe/Berlin, Adam Fedor wrote:

On Mar 16, 2005, at 3:45 PM, Marc Brünink wrote:

Hi List,

finally we managed it to compile & install a small but evil framework under MS Windows. So we got a myFramework.dll. But now the next problem arises: How to link a program against this framework? I tried something like -lmyFramework but this did not work. Probably I am just too tired and too beat-up. Could someone help please.

I don't think there is a good way to do it now. Particularly on Windows. You probably need to specify the location of the framework as well...

ADDITIONAL_TOOL_LIBS += -lmyFramework
ADDITIONAL_LIB_DIRS += -L../Frameworks/myFramework.framework/Current/....
ADDITIONAL_INCLUDE_DIRS += -I../Frameworks/...

I'm stuck. I just don't get it. I always get this error. Probably I am a real huge blockhead, but i'm going round in circles.

gcc        -o shared_obj/FBConnWin.exe \
        ./shared_obj/FBConnWin_main.o \
-Lc:/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/SRFoundation.framework -Lc:/GNUstep/Library/Libraries -Lc:/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries -Lc:/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries -lSRFoundation -lgnustep-base -lobjc -lws2_32 -ladvapi32 -lcomctl32 -luser32 -lcomdlg32 -lmpr -lnetapi32 -lm -I. ./shared_obj/FBConnWin_main.o(.data+0x398):FBConnWin_main.m: undefined reference to `__objc_class_name_SRConnection'
make[1]: *** [shared_obj/FBConnWin.exe] Error 1
make: *** [FBConnWin.all.tool.variables] Error 2

2 questions come to my mind:

1/ SRFoundation.framework is located in c:/GNUstep/System rather than in
c:/GNUstep/Local. is that on purpose? or is it the default location for
a framework when you 'make install'?

2/ I very much doubt that the _complete_ path to your library is
c:/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/SRFoundation.framework
you should probably have a library path like:

-Lc:/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/SRFoundation.framework/Current

3/

gnustep-base and gnustep-gui and so on always consist out of two files: a libgnustep-base.a and a gnustep-base.dll. A compilation of my framework results in just one .dll. Don't know if this is somehow related. Actually the only thing I know is: This error drives me mad! And the other thing: Burn Windows boxes, burn.

yes, your link process should include the generation of a '.a'.
I understand this is actually the file that is going to be used during
link time! (yes I agree that having 2 files to describe a library is a
laugh! not to mention a '.def' file that describes the APIs you want to
export but i'm going off-topic...)
So if you don't have it, then it is a bug. to help you more I need some
more information regarding your configuration.

Hope this helps

--andre