Re: GWorkspace 0.7.0, System, Applications and restart

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: GWorkspace 0.7.0, System, Applications and restart
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:22:10 +0200

On 2005-03-22 13:22:18 +0200 oberhage@uni-essen.de wrote:

M. Uli Kusterer <Witness.of.TeachText@gmx.net> wrote:

Just one remark, please ...

: 4) It seems undesirable to me to add a "Delete" command, because most : people would just always use "Delete" because they often won't know : for what files dropping a file into the recycle bin will actually be : fast, and for which ones "Delete" will be better. So we'd effectively : end up with most users using "Delete" and thus the "forgiveness" : provided by the recycle bin will be a benefit on paper only.

: 5) If we manage to have a recycler folder on each disk, or at least : on most disks, we'll *solve* the problem for which "Delete" is the : workaround. For those cases where this won't help, we could a) behave : like now and just take the speed hit b) provide an interface for : advanced users to add their own mount points to the list of disks : that can have trashes. This would probably also benefit NSWorkspace, : which could benefit from this as well c) Write some auto-detect code : that builds a default list for b by scanning the disk. This could be : done once at initial startup, and might only be supported on some : systems, but would increase usability noticeably.

.... for me and I do think some/several other users, too, 'delete' is
a feature not a bug. May be just for 'power users' :-), but nevertheless.

If I want to just move something, I'll do just that, when I remove some-
thing, it's final :-), and I don't want to empty any recycler/dust bin/
trash etc. Hell, even MS-Windows allows you to 'shift-delete' items, as
does OPENSTEP (Alt-r). So I want to at least keep that option, please.

Greetings,
Ruediger Oberhage

I agree that the best thing would be a recycler directory for each partition. But this
implies a better solution to detect where the mount points are (and, probably, a
installation script that creates the trash directories for all the users). Scanning mtab
to get the mounted volumes can be acceptable if you want only to show some disk icons on
the desktop but not for an important operation as deleting files. So, for the moment,
I've added a "destroy" method (command-r).