Re: Future of ViewPDF

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: Future of ViewPDF
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:40:07 +0200

On 2005-04-10 05:10:57 +0200 Christopher Culver <crculver@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

I discovered in the course of installing Evince, the new PDF viewer
for GNOME, that the FreeDesktop folks now endorse the "poppler"
PDF-management library, which is a stand-alone library created out of
xpdf's code. It would be very sensible for ViewPDF to be based on
that, because it will be easier than including all of xpdf's source,
and updates (including security patches) will be more frequent. Evince
renders the vast majority of my PDFs very well, so I think ViewPDF can
make the change with no drawbacks.

Hi,

Yes but we need to be sure that the library won't change ( GNOME people always do that )
and poppler is still 0.2.
I think we have to wait for
1) ObjC++ to that too.
2) See what Apple PDFKit in Tiger will looks like ( does someone have links / docs about it ? )

Fabien