Re: GNUstep fails to build on SUSE 9.2

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep fails to build on SUSE 9.2
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:50:40 +0100

On Apr 26, 2005, at 21:42, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

Are you *sure* it's nonsense?

The reason I ask is that it's quite a common error to assume that development packages of libraries are installed, when in fact only the runtime libraries are installed. To build software (such as gnustep) you need the development packages which include headers etc.

Yes I am sure.

First, I have the Yast window in front of me which shows me that the packages are there. BTW, I always install the -devel packages for everything that is listed as a prerequisite as a matter of principle and if only out of paranoia.

Second, the installation script for gnustep-startup does report that those libraries are missing, BUT the configure scripts in the other packages (ie -make, -base, -gui, -back) also perform the check for those libraries and confirm that those libs are there.

Ah ... I hadn't noticed that you were using gnustep-startup ... if the individual packages find the libraries and build, then it's fair to assume an error in the gnustep-startup configure scripts.