Re: NSTemporaryDirectory() && Windows

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: NSTemporaryDirectory() && Windows
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:34:18 +0800

David Ayers wrote:
Marc Brünink wrote:

However. I think if we use some nasty internal string representation there SHOULD be a method to convert it to a nice format. And this method shouldn't be an operating system method but a method within GNUstep. But perhaps this is just my opinion.

The nasty internal string representation is a different issue and Richard and I have been discussing that in a different thread. Please feel free to join us there for that topic :)

FWIW, I don't share your opinion that we have an obligation to support
converting between a "nasty internal string representation" and the long
version which is only an issue for the Windows platform and therefor
it's absolutely reasonable IMHO to require the operating system specific
method.  Indeed it seems like Apple doesn't much care either.  This is
what is returned in WO for Windows:

NSHomeDirectory(): C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ayers
NSTemporaryDirectory(): C:\DOKUME~1\ayers\LOKALE~1\Temp

But I guess if you supplied a patch to -baseadd's GSCategories (I guess
a category to NSFileManager), I would support it as a convenience method
to ease the pain for cross platform development.

I would vote against a new convenience method.

There is a potential place for this, though:

NSFileManager displayNameForPath

which is supposed to clean up and localise paths for presentation to the user.

/me wonders what these paths look like from unix-like machine when the
mount the paths via samba and whether there we would be asking for more
trouble in such cases.

You won't see any issues mounting via samba. None at all.

I thought I said it earlier but let me clarify again. On windows GetTemp() returns a file in 8.3 format. Check your environment. It's the same there. ie, it's the fault of the OS

{It may not do so if the machine has short file name support turned off in the filesystem.}

So, the windows API version of NSHomeDirectory() returns an 8.3 compatible path. This is a *feature* of windows as it supports those ancient programs which don't handle long file names or which can't handle a temporary directory specification with spaces.

We get it, we use it. No problem. The fact that it looks ugly is really irrelevant to it's functionality and purpose.

It's not a bug, its a feature ;>

Regards,
Sheldon