Re: ComboBox in TableView no longer works

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: ComboBox in TableView no longer works
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:16:19 +0200

Hello Quentin,

I don't remember precisely the whole story now. But IIRC I would say combo boxes never worked in table view, because table view had and still has a broken cell support. However in June 2004 Fred committed a patch which improved combo box and a bit cell support in table view, then combo boxes inside table view seemed to work in some special cases. Later I discovered standalone combo boxes weren't usable anymore, this issue was the result of Fred's patch. When I tracked the bug origin, I came to this conclusion : to have both standalone and embedded combo boxes working would involve rewriting table view cell support (very complicated task). That's why I decided it was better to support first standalone combo boxes and not embedded until I or somebody may find some time to fix cell support in table view.

Thanks for the feedback. Well, we make use of embedded combo boxes in almost any table view. We make hardly use of stand alone combo boxes. Don't know what others do, but for business applications the absence of embedded combos is a definite show stopper. We could live with the absence of standalone combos (a popup might be a good replacement here) but we can't live without embedded combos. Until the table view cell support is fixed I suggest to invent a definition that could be used to either get support for embedded combos (Freds, Matts patch) or standalone combos.

Regards,

   Andreas