Re: Building with GNUstep make on Panther/Tiger

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Building with GNUstep make on Panther/Tiger
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:21:03 +0200

Hello Yves,

we are trying to build bundles and tools on Tiger using GNUstep make. While linking a bundle we get

 Linking bundle HolzPoolBundle ...
ld: can't locate file for: -lbundle1.o
make[1]: *** [/Build/HolzPoolBundle/HolzPoolBundle.bundle/./HolzPoolBundle] Error 1

While linking a tool we get

 Linking tool Adaptor ...
ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
make[1]: *** [/Build/Adaptor/shared_obj/Adaptor] Error 1
make: *** [Adaptor.all.tool.variables] Error 2

Well I know that Panther works fine with GNUstep. I don't know about Tiger - I've heard people have had trouble with it.

It would be easier to help with the actual build command used

The following archive (7kB) contains a framework and a tool. Both builds fine on Jaguar using "make install". This fails on Tiger.

cd ./TestFrame
make install
 Creating /Build/TestFrame...
Making build-headers for framework TestFrame...
 Creating /Build/TestFrame/derived_src...
 Creating /Build/TestFrame/TestFrame.framework/Versions/A/....
 Creating /Build/TestFrame/TestFrame.framework/Versions/A/Headers...
 Creating /Build/TestFrame/TestFrame.framework/Versions/A/Resources...
Making all for framework TestFrame...
 Compiling file Person.m ...
 Linking framework TestFrame ...
/usr/bin/libtool: for architecture: cputype (16777234) cpusubtype (0) file: -lSystem is not an object file (not allowed in a library) Creating /Build/TestFrame/TestFrame.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist...
Making install for framework TestFrame...
 Creating //Library/Frameworks...
 Installing framework TestFrame...

cd ./TestTool
make install
 Creating /Build/TestTool...
Making all for tool TestTool...
 Compiling file TestTool_main.m ...
gcc: -framework: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: TestFrame: linker input file unused because linking not done
 Linking tool TestTool ...
ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
make[1]: *** [/Build/TestTool/shared_obj/TestTool] Error 1
make: *** [TestTool.all.tool.variables] Error 2

I looked up libcrt1.o and gave make the lib dir. It then complained that it could not locate the frameworks!? Any ideas?

Regards,

  Andreas