Re: Flash Demo

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Flash Demo
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:29:35 +0100

Le 27 juin 05 à 12:08, Helge Hess a écrit :

Hi Nicolas,

On Jun 26, 2005, at 15:30, Nicolas Roard wrote:

I recorded a flash video demonstrating Gorm and the StepTalk palette:
http://www.xdev.org/gnustep/demo.html

Two comments on the palette:

a) the ScriptButton is really really aweful since it merges view and
   controller - thats almost like Windows programming :-(

I know, but that's intentional.
Anyway you can use the script object if you prefer (or the steptalkclass object)

b) does the editor in the script inspector really need a save button?
   Thats somehow inconsistent (and it doesn't display any indication
   whether its currently "saved").

I ditched it in the released version.

Wrt the script button I think the appropriate solution is to support associations/bindings (don't know if Gorm already has this). I suppose your idea is to avoid the requirement to create a full script object for very small code sections.

it was more to do avoid creating a script and linking it when you just want to test a very simple thing with a button... as anyway you can create a standalone script or even a "class", I just kept this button+script as it can be convenient.

As a developer you would create a "GSStepTalkAssociation" which evaluates a given association string as a StepTalk script.

As the user you would drag a regular button (or any other object) to the window. Then go to the "bindings" inspect and the "onclick" binding. Select the "GSStepTalkAssociation" as the association type for the binding and enter the relevant script in the binding field.

The nice thing with associations is that they can be of any type (KVC, scripts, xpath expressions, whatever), not just Outlets or Actions, also see:
  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/software/MCI/

Just a rough idea ;-)

hm I didn't know about associations.. any doc about them ?
In addition to what the palette currently provide, it could be nice to have such thing, why not.

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke