Re: gcc on Tiger

From: Armando Di Cianno
Subject: Re: gcc on Tiger
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:55:52 -0400

On 2005-06-27 17:16:05 -0400 R. Joseph Wright <joseph@mammalia.net> wrote:
Has anyone built gcc on Tiger? I seem to be unable to build one that has libffi, and I've tried all 3.3.x versions.

When you first run the ./configure for gcc (with your --enable-languages=... and --enable-shared=libffi,..., you should notice some output like "This configuration not supported....".

You generaly need to enable gcj for libffi to build. However, it's simple to edit the makefiles to build libffi shared and not (psuedo) depend on gcj.

I've included a patch for 3.4.X series to do this, but I haven't built 3.3.X series in a while, so I'm not sure if it'll apply cleany, or at all, but if you review it, it's simple, and you can likely apply it to your 3.3.X build. The nice thing is, once you remove the (pseudo) dependency of gcj, you can only set enable-languages=c,objc, if that's your thing.

__Armando Di Cianno

<libffi-without-libgcj.patch>