Re: quality assurance (was: Re: GNUstep Base 1.11.0)

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: quality assurance (was: Re: GNUstep Base 1.11.0)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:53:05 -0600

On Jul 27, 2005, at 1:04 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

Of course, they would be useful for people to log on to and debug system specific problems, but in order to screen for problems in the first place I think, we would need to develop scripts which would run automatically/periodically to ....

1. retrieve the latest CVS code.
2. build it and run tests on it in various configurations.
3. in the event of a success, log it somewhere so that our website can display status. 4. in the event of a failure of a build or a test failure in any configuration, wait a while and try CVS again 5. after some period in which failures are consistent, email out alerts.

Actually, I already have a script set up to do 1-3 (logs either success or failure - then it's up to the developers to sees what is wrong).

The logs get posted daily to gnustep-cvs@gnu.org

While I'm at it, I'll reiterate my call for anyone who has a machine with a few spare cycles to help test GNUstep by running this script. You need a CVS checkout and the script in CVS:

gnustep/Startup/scripts/test-gnustep

Instuctions included.

You don't need root permission to run the script and you don't need to tell me - it just works!