Re: JIGS SimpleApp example

From: Mathew McBride
Subject: Re: JIGS SimpleApp example
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:44:50 +1000

GWorkspace and a few other apps (Waiho) are working fine.

It looks like objc-load is sanity checking to see if any modules being loaded do not have undefined symbols (bad for us, gnustep-base has tonnes of them). Removing that check gets errors about the lack of GSBackend in gnustep-back (ouch).

On the other hand, ObjC->Java is working fine.

Nicola Pero wrote:
Hi all,
Has anybody successfully run the Jigs SimpleApp test example recently?
I've tried running it and it complains of undefined symbols
(GSScreenNumber) in libgnustep-back-010. I'm using jdk-1.4 on Debian
unstable

I haven't tried GUI stuff with JIGS for ages ...

Try first a non-JIGS, pure GNUstep application ... once that is working, at least the existing JIGS examples should work (if not, it should not be difficult to fix them). Unfortunately, while JIGS is being used extensively in live environments
for non-GUI software (by the company I work for btw), I don't think it has
been used much for GUI software, so it might be not as mature in that area
(there definitely is a problem with subclassing GUI elements from Java - problem which is not necessarily easy to solve).

Out of interest, has anybody ever got jigs running using GNU Classpath
and jamvm (or kaffe etc)?

I haven't been able to use anything but Sun's JDK because JIGS needs some
features (weak references in JNI and other stuff) that are only available
in more recent versions of JNI and are not available in kaffe or such.  A
pity because it would be really nice to use a free Java environment rather
than Sun's one.  Maybe kaffe (or other Java implementations you know of)
might have got enough better in the meanwhile that it might work ...

Thanks