Re: Does anyone else find the main site confusing?

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Does anyone else find the main site confusing?
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:55:25 -0700 (PDT)

MJ,

--- MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote: [...]
> > I would find it very confusing that the "Downloads" section doesn't contain
> the
> > current releases, but the links on the front of the page do (if so
> shouldn't
> > the other link be called "additional downloads").
>
> That's because you (gcasa, right?) updated the front page news
> and didn't update the Downloads page. I think I've fixed it
> now. Usually these things break because no-one spotted it. If
> you spot it, please tell us. If you broke it, fix it.

I admit I have forgotten to update that on occasion. :)

> > I am constantly telling people to go the the site to show them GNUstep and
> one
> > of the things which always trips them up is "where can I read about
> > Gorm/ProjectCenter/etc etc."  They always click on the link on the top of
> the
> > screen.   Little do they know that it's the link for each release in the
> "News"
> > section which points the the Gorm/ProjectCenter/etc. page.   This is
> confusing.
>
> What link on the top of the screen? Both "Introduction" and "Developers"
> link through to the Gorm/ProjectCenter/etc page.

What I'm referring to is I feel that the "Current Packages" section, at the top
of the webpage is unintuitive.   If I were a new user I would find the fact
that the links cause me to download the package directly and that the *news*
items cause me to go to the page which describes the app.

The news items should be just news items, not links to the information page
about the app.  The links at the top in "Current Packages" should provide the
user with another page which shows information about the app, and also allows
them to view the annouce and to download the app itself.  Every person I have
directed to the page clicks on those top links thinking that it will take them
to an information page, instead they get a tar.gz dumped in their lap which
they may or may not want.

The first time I visited the site redesign, when it was first done, I had
trouble navigating because I found the new design to be confusing.  The new

> I know everyone would like their application to be the first link on
> the first page, but it's neither possible nor logical to do that.
>
> > Can we please do something about this?   Even *I* get tripped up by this
> > sometimes since it's relatively unintuitive in my opinion.
>
> Yes. Stop posting to discuss and start mailing webmasters@gnustep.org
> - it will get fixed lots sooner that way.

This was a general question requiring some concensus amoung the community. The
discuss list was the appropriate place.  If you have a problem with that, email
me directly and we can talk about it.

Whether you like it or not, website issues WILL be discussed here, so you'd
better get used to it.

> > I believe what we need to have is something like has been done on GAP.
> [...]
>
> WTF is GAP?

http://www.nongnu.org/gap

A few apps have been announced here, in case you weren't paying attention.

> --
> MJR/slef

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.