Re: gnustep status and new ports (zaurus?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: gnustep status and new ports (zaurus?
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:14:54 +0200

chuckr@speakeasy.net wrote:

> I am considering that GNUstep might be a good platform for a
> programmer, especially one running a smallish environment like the
> SL-C3000, with it's 4G hard disk and native (not cross) compiling
> atmosphere.
>
> Beyond trying to determine if  the project is still active, when I
> began compiling it on the Zaurus, it failed in ffcall.  It appears to
> have an embryonic "arm" port ... which is even less useful than (say)
> giving Intel as a CPU instead of "Pentium-4" or something in that
> vein.  I have a config.sub that works fine for
> "zaurus-unknown-OpenBSD3.7" (it compiles gnome fine).  I would like
> to try porting ffcall or the zaurus SL-C3000, but to do this, I need
> to have some notion what, precisely, ffcall is really doing.  Any
> test progs, say something that works today on a stable platform like
> Intel with either FreeBSD or Linux would really be of great help.

Hi chuckr,

great to see somebody interested in GNUstep on ARM. The ffcall problem
you stumpled upon is not GNUstep specific, but there is already a bug
report on it in the GNUstep savannah page: #9468 and this even includes
a patch. I did not try this myself, but it is surely worth a look
(http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=9468). Also not
sure if ffcall 1.10 already includes this patch.

Cheers
Fred