Re: GNUstep and session management

From: Roman Belenov
Subject: Re: GNUstep and session management
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:26:34 +0400

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> writes:

> For instance, the procedure for a corporate user could be to -
> 1. ask all apps to terminate
> 2. wait a while, and if some apps don't terminate, perhaps raise an alert
> panel allowing the user to cancel logout

That depends on the way the apps "don't terminate". If an app returns
NSTerminateCancel that probably means that the user cancelled application
termination and additional alert panel is redundant; processing of
NSTerminateLater seems to be more complicated.

> 3. after a further interval, forcibly kill apps anyway.

That make sense if an app just don't process -terminate message, but it adds a
complication to GWorkspace implementation (passing -terminate to running apps
should be done asynchronously).

> This is good for people who want to quit, and walk away from their machine,
> knowing that there will be a logout/power-off in a short/predicatble time, and
> they don't need to worry too much about someone else coming and using their
> machine.

That's nice for home user too (e.g. I'd like to have all confirmation dialogs
when shutting down the system with keyboard/mouse, but prefer fast
noninteractive poweroff when using the remote control). XSMP supports both
ways (session manager explicitly tells whether interaction with user is
allowed when asking an application to save state), but I don't see the
OpenStep way to achieve it.

--
                                                        With regards, Roman.