Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: nicola
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:35:49 +0100 (BST)

> Why?  I know there have been times where I personally have wanted to
> work on GNUstep.  Unfortunately, there is no simple way for me to do so
> without making just one enormous patch.  I'm sure others have submitted
> large patches before that would have been much easier to do in small
> pieces.  Imagine being able to do a bunch of work on making gnustep
> compile correctly on gcc 4.0 and being able to send to the list:
>
>   Please check out revisions 46:192 of branches/bheron/gcc-4-fixes to
>   see the changeset to get gnustep compiling with gcc-4.

Hmmm ... in some ways this would make reading patches more complicated
than it is now, as you'd need to check out a different branch to get the
code, then do a manual diff to see what was changed. ;-)

A patch attached to an email is more immediate to read (and so preferred)
-- at least for me. :-)

Thanks

PS: About subversions, why don't you lobby savannah.gnu.org to support it?
GNUstep being an official GNU project, we probably naturally fit in
savannah.gnu.org ... not sure we want to move away from there.  Certainly
if subversion is so much better it should be possible to convince them to
use it? :-)